Saturday, March 26, 2011

Mexican Pizzas

My husband and I discovered this recipe when we were dating in college.  It's from the Pillsbury Quick & Easy Bake-Off Contest 39 magazine.  This was the first dish that we ever cooked together.  The original recipe calls for quite a lot of cilantro that you add just before the cheese--so much cilantro that it has made us sensitive to cilantro ever since.  It was overkill.  So, we leave the cilantro off now.

Makes 8 pizzas

Ingredients:
*1 can refrigerated Pillsbury Grands buttermilk biscuits (I recently made this with a store brand that was similar and less expensive.)
*1 cup fat-free refried beans (from a 16 oz. can)
*1 cup salsa
*1/4 cup sliced ripe (black) olives
*1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, drained
*1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-jack cheese
*4 green onions, chopped
*fat-free sour cream--optional


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Press or roll each biscuit to form
a 5-inch round.  Place on ungreased cookie sheets.

Spread 2 Tablespoons refried beans on each round.  Top each with 2 Tablespoons of salsa.  Top evenly with black olives and green chilies.   Sprinkle with cheese.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and cheese is melted.  Sprinkle with green onions.  My husband likes to top his with a dollop of sour cream.  Serve immediately.

Note:  I leave off the green chilies on my son's Mexican pizza because it is too spicy for him.  I also leave off the green onions and sour cream.  I cut his pizza into four wedges.