Saturday, March 26, 2011

Liz's Chili

I'm not sure what happened to the picture I took of this dish.  I must have accidentally deleted it off my camera.  I'll upload a picture the next time that I make it.

This recipe if from our campus minister's wife, Liz.  She would make this and bring it up to the Texas A&M Wesley Foundation Methodist Student Center for lunches or dinners for us starving college students.  It is yummy.  Before we graduated, I made sure to get her to write her recipe down for me.  I still have the tiny little paper that she wrote it on almost ten years later.  My son LOVES this chili recipe.  The recipe she wrote down calls for chili powder, salt, and black pepper to taste.  Below are the measurements that I use when I make this for my family.  I also add onion to mine.

My family eats this chili in a variety of ways:  just the chili with some saltine crackers on the side, chili with a few crushed up tortilla chips in it and cheddar cheese on top, chili on top of rice with cheddar cheese on top, frito pie, and chili cheese dogs.

This recipe makes a lot, so you can freeze half to use for a later time.

Ingredients:
*1 1/2 - 2 lbs. extra lean ground beef (I use 96/4)
*1/2 yellow onion, chopped
*1 large can (28 oz.) whole tomatoes (with juices)
*2 cans (about 15 oz. each) dark kidney beans (liquid and all)
*1 large can tomato soup
*4 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon chili powder
*2 dashes salt + 1 teaspoon
*3 dashes black pepper

Directions:
Brown beef and onion in a large stock pot.  Season with 2 dashes of salt as you are cooking the meat.

Once the meat is browned, add the whole tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato soup, all the chili powder, the 1 teaspoon of salt, and the black pepper.  Mix well, kind of squishing the tomatoes as you stir.

Bring to a simmer on medium heat.  Reduce heat to low, cover, and let sit on the stove for several hours to blend the flavors, stirring occasionally.  The longer it sits, the better it tastes.