Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Friend's Baked Beans

I got this recipe from my friend, Carrie S.  She made it on a Sunday School retreat, and it was a huge hit.  We also made it on a high school mission trip with her, and everyone gobbled them up.  The original recipe feeds a crowd, so I have scaled down the recipe here to feed my family.

Makes 8-10 servings

Ingredients:
*3 normal sized cans pork and beans (from 40-55 ounces total)
*5 slices bacon, sliced
*1/2 of a white onion, chopped
*1/2 of a green bell pepper, chopped
*1/2 cup ketchup
*1/2 cup brown sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325.  In a medium bowl, combine beans, ketchup, and brown sugar.  Place in a baking dish.

Add the onion and bell pepper on top.  Add the bacon on top of the onion and bell pepper.

Cover and bake on 325 for 2 hours or until the bacon and veggies are cooked.  Spoon off the bacon before serving.*

*Note:  For our family, I cook this on 350 F instead of 325 F so that the  bacon gets crispy, and I do not have to spoon it off at the end.